My Garden Today

www.flickr.com
jodiepcook's Today's Blooms photoset jodiepcook's Today's Blooms photoset

Monday, October 10, 2011

Irrational Exuberance

Trycyrtis hirta just emerging in the Spring
     Almost three years ago we moved from New York state back to California.  While living in Long Island's Zone 7 I discovered and fell in love with a few plants that really should probably stay in the damp, woodlands of coastal New York; Epimedium, Callicarpus, Japanese Painted Fern.   A few of them I just couldn't give up forever so I've mail ordered and imported them to an appropriate (or so I tell myself) north-facing, shady microclimate in my Southern California side yard. 

As I set about recreating little vignette reminders of my New York garden I am wondering if it is all worth it.

Today, one of my very favorite plants, Trycyrtis hirta, is in bloom after a yearlong battle with slugs, fungus, dry rot, wet rot, locusts, asps and invading foreign armies.

You tell me...Here is what I saw when I went outside to inspect it this morning. 


It is covered in these stunning little spotted flowers.  It's still just a baby, only two years old, so it hasn't yet grown into its full size or arching habit. 

Part of me - a big part - says, YES!  It is worth it!  Just to be able to admire this complex and beautiful thing created by Mother Nature (for no real purpose that I can discern, except perhaps as a snail Chateauneuf de Pape) makes it worth it.  It really is the most remarkable flower I think I've ever seen.  It's like a tiny orchid, but better.  The closer you look at it, the more complex it gets.

So, my next quandary is....Is this worth it?


Another tiny baby plant, from Heronswood Nursery in Washington State, Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight', aka False Hydrangea.  It will one day - and here is the irrational exuberance again - enshroud the stark whitish property line wall (as viewed from our dining room) with a dense cloak of shining silver green leaves and glowing white Lacecap Hydrangea-like flowers. 

Not next week, not even next year, but eventually...






No comments:

Post a Comment